Oscars continue to rebuild identity

Oscars continue to rebuild identity

The 2019 Oscars, held last month, showed an ongoing identity building.

Alexandra Gray

Alexandra Gray

Alexandra Gray

David Heilman, North Campus Staff

The Oscars in 2019 contained no host, a series of surprise upsets, and one of the most diverse collection of award winners in recent history. This was a show done right and hopefully a sign that this struggling award show is on a path in the right direction.

The true highlight for the night came from two of the three Oscars given to the Marvel hit Black Panther. According to the The Official Academy Awards® Database an african american woman has not received an Oscar in the technical category in 35 years.

This year however, Ruth Carter and Hannah Beachler became models of inspiration. Ruth Carter was nominated three time before finally receiving the Oscar for Costume Design.

Later that night Hannah Beachler offered a heartfelt speech as she took home the Oscar for Production Design each becoming the first African American woman to win an award in their categories.

The technical category continued to represent a diverse array of winners. Alfonso Cuarón took home Oscars for both Directing and Cinematography. Domee Shi and Becky Nieman-Cobb were able win Best

Animated Short for their lovely story of a chinese mother struggling with an empty nest.
After a number of upset nominations in past years Spike Lee was finally called to the stage by his long time friend Samuel Jackson for Best Writing for Adapted Screenplay.

The Acting category held true as well Mahershala Ali and Regina King took home the oscars for supporting actor and actress respectively and Rami Malek, a first generation Egyptian American won the Oscar for best leading role from his performance in Bohemian Rhapsody. This means of the four acting categories presented in the Oscars three were given to people of color.

After gleefully running and jumping into the arms of Samuel Jackson, Spike Lee put a serious face on and offered an intense speech ending with these words. “Let’s all be on the right side of history. Make the moral choice between love versus hate. Let’s do the right thing.”

The Oscars have had a checkered past with representation. With a questionably looked at choice for best picture, the future remains unclear. However, the growth of diversity this year has paved a path of optimism for them to do the right thing.