Ross Park Mall Redevelops

Movie theater, fitness center planned for former Sears store

Ross Park Mall Redevelops

The former Sears location at the Ross Park Mall sits shuttered. Plans are moving forward with redevelopment.

David Heilman

David Heilman

David Heilman

Marissa Wiesenbach, North Campus Editor

Ross Park Mall – a nearby multi-level indoor shopping center located in Ross Township – plans to redevelop the former Sears department store and existing food court.

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the redevelopment will include a movie theater, a fitness center, a relocated food court, and a new “small shop” space.

Simon Property Group – Ross Park Mall’s current owner and operator – plans to expand the shopping mall by constructing a new three-story building in place of the vacant Sears department store. In addition, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette states that the company plans to construct a stand-alone two story building on the shopping mall’s property to house new retailers.

Conveniently located off of McKnight Road in the North Hills of Pittsburgh, Ross Park Mall serves the communities of Ross Township, McCandless, and Cranberry Township amongst other local neighborhoods.

The shopping center boasts approximately 170 retail shops such as American Eagle Outfitters, Vineyard Vines, Godiva Chocolatier, Crate and Barrel, and Louis Vuitton. Dining options include The Cheesecake Factory, Chick-Fil-A, Panera Bread, and Western Pennsylvania’s first California Pizza Kitchen.

Currently, the mall is anchored by three major tenants: Nordstrom, Macy’s, and J.C. Penney.
The plans to redevelop the vacant Sears department store – a former anchor tenant at Ross Park Mall – were announced by Simon Property Group in April 2018.

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Simon Property Group’s plans to redevelop the vacant space were approved by the Ross Township Planning Commission just last month.

On Tuesday, Feb. 5, the proposal was announced to the public by Ross Township Commissioner Steve Korbel in a Facebook post, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Korbel’s Facebook post states, “The Ross Park Mall has proposed a redevelopment of the former Sears department store and the existing food court. The redevelopment will include a new three-story building, a new “small shop” space, a fitness facility, a theater, a relocated food court, additional retail/restaurants and a two story stand-alone retail building. The Board of Commissioners will consider this proposed redevelopment plan at its meeting on Feb. 11 at 7:30 p.m. As always, public comment is welcomed!”

On Monday, Feb. 11, the Ross Township Board of Commissioners did not yet approve the redevelopment of Ross Park Mall at their monthly meeting.

According to Patch Media, Ross Commissioners delayed the redevelopment due to safety concerns in the expansion plan outlined by Simon Property Group. In particular, Patch Media states that commissioners suggested sidewalks be added around the proposed new buildings for the safety of shoppers and workers.

At a meeting scheduled for later this month, Simon Property Group will have the opportunity to present their revised proposal concerning the redevelopment of Ross Park Mall to township officials.

About the Writer
Marissa Wiesenbach, North Campus Editor

Marissa Wiesenbach is a student at CCAC North. She is serving as Campus Editor for 2018-2019.