Pens meet deadline with minor changes

Trades focused on centers, defense

William Zytnick, North Campus Staff

The 2019 NHL trade deadline has now come and gone. For the Pittsburgh Penguins, there were moves to be made for the better of the team.

Looking at some of the most notable trades made before and right up to the deadline, one of the most important changes was the Carl Hagelin-Tanner Pearson swap between the Penguins and Kings.

Rumor has it that the Pens tried to re-acquire Hagelin before the deadline, but that move was not allowed.

The Kings have since traded him to the Penguins’ rivals, The Washington Capitals.

Another big move involved the Florida Panthers, which sent centers Nick Bjugstad and Jared McCann to Pittsburgh in exchange for center Derick Brassard and Riley Sheahan. The trade also came with a second round pick in 2019 and a pair of fourth round picks.

This move really gives the Penguins a huge upgrade at center with a big rugged player in Bjugstad who could easily fill the void at third line center, which Brassard was unable to do for the Pens. As for McCann he is a solid reliable player, at only 22 years old so he’s a go getter for sure.

The only downside the Florida Panthers were able to snag a second rounder which is significant later on, but other than that the Penguins did very well with this trade and will see where it goes.

Fast forward to deadline day, right at the buzzer, which was 3 pm Eastern time. The Penguins acquired two defenseman to help anchor their depleting blue line. Erik Gudbranson was shipped to Pittsburgh in a one-for-one with Vancouver for Tanner Pearson. Gudbranson was signed for $4 million per year through 2021. “He’s a real heart and soul guy,” said Pengiuns GM Jim Rutherford, according to KDKA. “He can protect our players.”

Finally, the Penguins also acquired Chis Wideman from the Florida Panthers for J. S Dea.

Aside from the Bjugstad-McCann’s deal, fans may not see these changes as major, but it remains to be seen as the newest version of this Penguins teams heads toward the playoffs.

About the Writer
William Zytnick, North Campus Staff

William Zytnick is a student at CCAC North Campus and specializes in writing about Pittsburgh sports. In 2018, he received a Keystone Student Press Awards...