CCAC student receives prestigious Phi Theta Kappa Hites Transfer Scholarship

CCAC Public Relations

Community College of Allegheny County student Surbhi Sharma is one of only 10 students nationwide and the only one in Pennsylvania to receive Phi Theta Kappa’s 2019 Hites Transfer Scholarship, the society’s most prestigious and largest scholarship. The scholarship is awarded to Phi Theta Kappa members who are preparing to transfer to a bachelor’s degree-granting college or university. Hites Scholars are selected based on outstanding academic achievement and rigor, leadership endeavors and engagement in college and community activities. The awardees were selected by a panel of independent judges from more than 2,800 applicants.

As a Hites Scholar, Sharma will receive a $7,500 scholarship and a medallion. Phi Theta Kappa will recognize the 2019 Hites Scholars as a group on stage during the Parade of Scholars at PTK Catalyst, Phi Theta Kappa’s Annual Convention, April 4–6, in Orlando, Florida.

In addition to her studies as a dual major in Radiation Therapy Technology and Mathematics, Sharma serves as the Student Trustee on the CCAC Board of Trustees. During her tenure as president of PTK’s Alpha Mu Theta Chapter at CCAC in 2017–2018, she and her team were instrumental in accomplishing the award-winning Milton Hall renovation project at Allegheny Campus.

“We are extremely pleased that Surbhi has received this well-deserved recognition,” said Dr. Evon Walters, president of CCAC Allegheny Campus. “Surbhi has excelled academically throughout her time at CCAC. She is also a talented and motivated student leader and is a stellar role model for other students to emulate.”

The Hites Family Community College Scholarship Foundation was established by Robert Hites, an executive with Ralston-Purina in St. Louis, Missouri. The Hites Scholarship Program is made possible by the Hites Family Community College Scholarship Foundation and the Phi Theta Kappa Foundation.

Phi Theta Kappa is the premier honor society recognizing the academic achievement of students at associate degree-granting colleges and helping them to grow as scholars and leaders. The honor society is made up of more than 3.5 million members and nearly 1,300 chapters in 10 nations. Learn more at ptk.org.