CCAC receives Innovation of the Year Award from League for Innovation in the Community College

Pictured are (from the left): Dr. Evon Walters, president, CCAC Allegheny Campus; Surbhi Sharma, CCAC Student Trustee; Dr. Rufus Glasper, president & CEO, League for Innovation in the Community College; Megan Rice, director, CCAC Field Operations; James Messer, chief officer, CCAC Facilities; Dr. Michael Ayewoh, executive director, CCAC Sponsored Programs & Sponsored Research.

CCAC Public Relations

The Community College of Allegheny County was proud to receive a 2018 Innovation of the Year Award from the League for Innovation in the Community College. Presented last month at the League’s Innovation Conference in New York City, the awards were granted to 46 community colleges across the nation for outstanding innovations that serve community college students.

Receiving the award on behalf of the college were Dr. Evon Walters, president, CCAC Allegheny Campus; James Messer, chief officer, CCAC Facilities; Megan Rice, director, CCAC Field Operations; and Surbhi Sharma, CCAC Student Trustee and 2017–2018 president, Alpha Mu Theta chapter of Phi Theta Kappa. The group presented on the college’s Milton Hall Rotunda project for which the college received the award. The project was submitted under the title: Using Technology and Collaboration to Enhance Student Space and Student Engagement.

The project description, in part, reads: The Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) student leaders from the Allegheny Campus engaged the campus leadership in an innovative eight-month planning and renovation project aimed at increasing student engagement. What initially started out as a capstone project morphed into an entrepreneurial and collaborative initiative that conceptualized and ultimately transformed an outdated, desolate space into a welcoming and high-tech space (that) is not only a gathering space for our students, but that now has the capacity to be a central information hub for students as well as an additional transactional hub with its kiosks.

The redesigned Milton Hall Rotunda features video walls, interactive kiosks, and digital wayfinding and informational signage. The displays are consistently updated to help students become more engaged, informed and prepared regarding their program of study, CCAC support services, and internship, transfer and career information.

The project carried out the vision of Allegheny Campus President Dr. Evon Walters to renovate the rotunda through interactive presentations, proposals and staunch advocacy on the part of students. According to Walters, “A lot of field research and benchmarking of best practices took place on how the technology could be integrated to engage and support students by further connecting, informing and empowering them with information about CCAC support services, academic programs and our transfer and career opportunities.”

To learn more about the Innovation of the Year Awards and to see the winners, click here.